Monday, May 23, 2005

This is for my Secret Pal 5 Pal!

First off, I love you. Anyone who gifts me with things that are yarn-related have earned my undying love.
Secondly, feel free to be creative and give what you want to give and not what I may wish to receive.
Thirdly...uh...I forget. Here's the 'meme' instead.

Kit's Happy Yarn-ho Survey

1. Are you a yarn snob (do you prefer higher quality and/or natural fibers)? Do you avoid Red Heart and Lion Brand? Or is it all the same to you?

It's amazing what they can do with acrylic. But right now, I love this cotton Shine yarn from Knitpicks and when I'm done with this camisole, I think I'm going to have to find another project or suffer separation anxiety. So, um, yes? Yes, I think I am a "yarn snob" because acrylic just doesn't make me go to sleep and wake up a mere six hours later, eager to work with it again.

2. Do you spin? Crochet?

I want to learn spinning, but I'm not doing that yet. And though I crochet, I just really like knitting more.


3. Do you have any allergies? (smoke, pets, fibers, perfume, etc.)

Smoke is nasty stuff, but I'm not allergic to it. Heh. Cats are not so nice, I'm allergic to them (though I tend to get acclimated after a while). And no perfume please, I think that's a bit of a personal thing, like underwear. Besides, I'm so terribly picky...let's stay away from that unless you know me really well. ;)

4. How long have you been knitting?

I've been knitting hardcore since I finished nursing school (that's been 2 years now? Something like that). It kept me out of the mental institutions (well, at least as a patient. I'm working as a nurse at one right now).

5. Do you have an Amazon or other online wish list?
This one's for Amazon.com. If it don't work, let me know. And I have another on Half.com, search for kitan_dragoness at yahoo dot com (see if this works).


6. What's your favorite scent? (for candles, bath products etc.)

Something that isn't food-based. I'm trying to watch what I eat, why do I want to be tormented by such smells as Warm Vanilla Sugar and Gingersnap Cookies? It's cruel. I am fond of water-based scents. For instance, anything to do with Rain, Ocean, Mist. Nice smells.

7. Do you have a sweet tooth?

It's not just a sweet tooth, it's an alternate personality that I'm trying very hard to suppress. Consider this when you get me something (alt personality: SEND CHOCOLATE!).

8. What other crafts or Do-It-Yourself things do you like to do?

I love to draw. ^^ I'm just not really as passionate about it as I am about knitting (and I get worse reactions when I draw than when I knit. Odd, huh?).

9. What kind of music do you like? Can your computer/stereo play MP3s? (if your buddy wants to make you a CD)

I love Celtic music, classical, and rock. What a mix, eh? I tend towards female singers more than male (like Fiona Apple, Sarah McLachlan, Tori Amos, etc.) And yes, my computer is my music machine.

10. What's your favorite color? Or--do you have a color family/season/palette you prefer? Any colors you just can't stand?

I love peacock colors...blue, green, and purple. I love wine, too...the color, not the drink. I'm not fond of the colors they have that are "popular" like the dark pinks, sky blues and lime greens. Also not too fond of orange or rust colors.

11. What is your family situation? Do you have any pets?

I currently live with my uncle, aunt, and their children. I don't have any pets of my own, but there is the resident cat and yellow lab.

12. What are your life dreams?

I'm working on becoming a nurse and if I fail to ever attract anyone of the masculine persuasion, I am happy enough to become an eccentric old woman who lives in a big house, like Aunt Mae from Twister. *grin* Except, instead of cows in the front yard that get blown away by storms, I'll have alpacas and I'll bring them indoors if it ever storms.

13. What is/are your favorite yarn/s to knit with?

I have no real bias. I love just about anything, really. Though now that things are getting cooler, I'm more into making Aran-knit things.

14. What fibers do you absolutely *not* like?

I'm falling away from acrylics. They're ick. Itchy wools too.

15. What is/are your current knitting obsession/s?

Just knitting in general. I'm currently all about Arans, but that's because it's getting cooler out.

16. What is/are your favorite item/s to knit?

I'm an innovative knitter. So if I see something I like that I want to knit, I'll give it a shot. I don't exactly have a "favorite" because anything repetitive tends to become highly and maddeningly dull. So things like lace and Arans. I haven't tried Intarsia or Fair Isle yet, but I'm sure I will soon now that I have a copy of The Tap Dancing Lizard.

17. What are you knitting right now?

Oh, you can pick that up from the right hand sidebar there. ;) I love those Flash! progress bars.

18. What do you think about ponchos?

"Why?" I'm in the poncho-hater group, sorry. I find it to hide too much without flattering at all.

19. Do you prefer straight or circular needles?

I luuuv circulars. And DPNs. I have most sizes, too.

20. Bamboo, aluminum, plastic?

Anything that gets the job done without driving me batty (I've yet to be exposed to anything other than aluminum to really be a fan of anythiing else). I have noticed that those Addis (not Turbos) on eBay are inexpensive and possibly just like the Turbos.

21. Are you a sock knitter?

Indeedly!

22. How did you learn to knit?

I learned a few basics in sixth grade, but after nursing school, I re-taught myself. I'm pretty good at learning things if there are clear instructions, and I'm not afraid of math or anything.

23. How old is your oldest UFO?

I have a few things that I started in May and are waiting for some free time.

24. What is your favorite animated character or a favorite animal/bird?

I'm mad about dragons. I love dragons and collect them. I even bought a dragon pattern online for $1. I'll make it one day and alter it so it's not so, uh, goofy looking. Shh.

25. What is your favorite holiday?

My cousin was right about Thanksgiving. It's one of those that you celebrate for an extended amount of time, isn't overly commercialized (for once I'm glad for football to distract from obnoxious Hallmark crap for Thanksgiving) and it focuses on one of the best aspects of human nature, the ability to be thankful.

26. Is there anything that you collect?

Dust. Heh, kidding...other than yarn, I can't really collect too much since most of my worldly possessions are sitting in the basement in boxes. :( But I love to collect manga, though I'm kind of picky about that.

27. What knitting magazine subscriptions do you have?

I actually don't have any *subscriptions*, I just head to the bookstore and if I like what I see, I grab it.

28. Any books out there you are dying to get your hands on?
You can look at Amazon.com for that. ;) Enchanted Knitting sounds really fun, though.

29. Any patterns you have been coveting, but haven't bought for one reason or another??
Oh yes, good question! Only because I can't find them locally (I may not have been looking hard enough).
HeartString's Hanging Vines
HeartString's Lead Or Follow Lace Scarf

30. What are your foot measurements, and what kind of socks do you like?
Heh, I'm a size 7 (wee feet!) and gosh, I don't really have a preference! I like all sorts of socks, particularly the kind that wick away moisture.

1 comment: