It's been a while since I updated. News: I have unpacked about 90% of the stuff for my room, plus put up a bunch of IKEA bookshelves. I'm still missing a good deal, like my alarm clock and the cable to attach my printer to an outlet (not that I really want to keep the printer, bleh. So big and the scanner SUCKS). But I'm feeling more at home here. I had friends over the other night for games and tv-watching and it felt rather natural. It's hard to leave behind the old but I'm embracing the new.
So, my friend disillusioned has a fun meme, I thought I'd copy and do it, too:
1. Wrapping paper or gift bags? I'm not good at wrapping but gift bags are expensive so I'm going with option C, aluminum foil. Crimp it and you're done!
2.Real tree or artificial? Bonsai trees. Cute, compact, and so little space under the tree that you don't have to spend hardly any money for presents. Or, you can go the other way around and say that the only presents that fit is expensive jewelry, ah ha!
3.When do you put up the tree? If you never take it down, you never have to put it up! Saves time and it feels festive year round.
4.When do you take the tree down? Why take it down when you can keep it up? Classy, economical, environmentally friendly!
5.Do you like Eggnog? Those who don't have no souls. I look forward to Eggnog every year, though I have to sip at it carefully because it's not so great for the waistline.
6. Favorite gift received as a child? My sister's PlaySkool Kitchen.
7. Hardest person to buy for? Myself. I have some very expensive taste and I demand only the best. But I am always so grateful for what I get so it's all worth it.
8. Easiest person to buy for? My friends. They're grateful just to have me around, I don't have to get them anything, I just show up for presents!
9. Do you have a nativity scene? Speaking of, I saw an outdoor one where there were five stars over the fond plastic couple with their acrylic child. I wonder how the shepherds ever found their way.
10.Mail or email Christmas cards? I'm a terrible slacker and yet somehow I buy cards every year. Why? I don't get myself sometimes.
11.Worst Christmas gift you ever received? I don't recall any, really. I'm sure I've given some pretty crappy gifts, even though I do tend to put thought into them. But really, sometimes I don't know the people I shop for very well.
12. Favorite Christmas movie? It's not a Christmas movie but I love watching it during Christmas and that's Little Women.
13.When do you start shopping for Christmas? Um, Christmas Eve? Battling elbow-to-elbow with all the other bachelor uncles and aunts for the last Hillshire Farms Sausage thinger.
14.Have you ever recycled a Christmas present? I might have.
15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas? German Lebkuchen. The best stuff in the WORLD.
16. Lights on the tree? There sure are!
17 .Favorite Christmas song? Anything on Loreena McKennitt's To Drive The Cold Winter Away album.
18 .Travel at Christmas or stay home? I don't really need to travel anymore, do I? Ahh, laziness.
19.Can you name all Santa's reindeer? I could cheat but that would mean that I care.
20. Angel on the tree top or Star? A rather tipsy angel that won't light. It's like she's been in the eggnog but not enough to really be lit.
21.Open presents Christmas Eve or morning? It's always teaser present on Christmas Eve and then mass chaos in the morning.
22.Most annoying thing about this time of year? From the people kvetching about how no one has the ba--spine to say "Merry Christmas" anymore to the broken-record songs about reindeer, Santa, Frosty, and winter playing non-stop over the speakers at every store (I want to hack in and get the stores to play Handel's Messiah and see how many people wet themselves over the lack of PC-ness of it all) to the repetitive claymation movies and the whole attempt to sell Santa as the replacement Christ, there's a lot of stuff that reeeeally gets under my skin. But I figure *I* can tell people Merry Christmas, I can wear my iPod to the store, I can choose to change the channel, I don't *have* to be annoyed.
23. Favorite ornament? The silver glass one with the nativity scene on it. I loved it ever since I was a girl because of the donkey on it. It has such a sweet face.
24. Favorite Christmas dinner? If it could be my choice? It'd be mom's Black Bean stew or Swedish Meatballs. But the spiral-cut ham is also fantastic. Mm. With stuffing, a veggie tray, maybe even cranberry sauce even though that's kind of a Thanksgiving thing. But I welcome cranberries to my table at ANY time. :d
25. Favorite Christmas drink? I still have some decaf chai, that's perfect for Christmas. Hot chocolate is also just the thing. Mmm.
26.What do you want for Christmas this year? I'm tapping into What I Will Never Get But Always Sort Of Wanted - Lasix eye surgery, my car - but totally fixed of every last issue (even the rusty paint) so that it'll run for another 13 years, a gym pass + personal trainer, a wardrobe/face/hair makeover ala What Not To Wear, and a job at Charm City Cakes.
27.What don't you want for Christmas this year? Tears and drama. Oh, and extra pounds. You can keep those, I don't want them.
28. What is something you have never done that you want to do for Christmas? Go ice skating outdoors!
How about you?